Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Can too much religion destroy a family?

Madalyn Murray O'Hair might rightfully be called the mother of US evangelical atheism.



In 1980, her son William converted to Christianity and was born again at a Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas, where he took up work as a preacher. This led to a permanent estrangement between mother and son.



O'Hair: "One could call this a postnatal abortion on the part of a mother, I guess; I repudiate him entirely and completely for now and all times...He is beyond human forgiveness."



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalyn_Mur...



Were O'Hair's religious delusions responsible for the tragic breakup of her family?



Can too much religion destroy a family?

I can't imagine repudiating one's child because of his religious beliefs. I might slam my door hard once or twice if he starts spouting religion at me and tell me I need to be saved but that is different.



Yes, she was a fanatic.



Would you have asked the same question about the mother if she had been Christian and the son atheist?



Can too much religion destroy a family?

My personal opinion is "YES". She was a fanatic.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

yesssss....



Can too much religion destroy a family?

When the religion is practiced in the RIGHT way, there should never be any problems.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

led to a break between me and my family.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

Considering that I'm an atheist I would obviously disagree. I would not cut someone out of my life because of their religion leanings though.



And you know that atheism is not a religion, as much as you may think calling it that is insulting to us.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

Yes it can.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

As can too little.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

If it weren't for her we would still be forced to say a prayer in school, she did a very brave and righteous thing



Can too much religion destroy a family?

Hey..families destroy families. Dysfunction is no respecter of persons.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

Yes - there is a line between RELIGION and being a born-again believer. A born-again believer is someone who has asked the Lord Jesus Christ to cleanse them and forgive them and has dedicated their lives to serving the Lord.



Religion is going through the paces - church, joining the choir, wearing robes of righteousness, genuflecting, etc.



The word of God says our righteousness is as filthy rags in his sight so we need to be clear on this one.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

Yes. Both too many religions and also being too fanatic about religion.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

Wow, that does sound harsh. Well, some people view *any* religion as too much. But there is no such thing as too much of God's love and grace!



Can too much religion destroy a family?

I really don't like her or many of her beliefs. I cannot imagine disowning a child for that reason.



When a father can do an "Honor Killing" of a daughter, I cannot imagine that, either.



When a "Christian" hurts a homosexual, I cannot imagine that, and I won't even go into the fact that atheism is not a religion.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

another name for religion may as well be division



it divides you immediately against all others who do not believe as you do



it's been shown that no two people believe exactly alike, are are the only member of their religion



Can too much religion destroy a family?

Yes, this can be seen in most all religions. People need an example, not a religious cattle prod.



My example was a good family who loved me even when I lived like the devil.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

No it was his mothers choice.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

WOW! Did you READ all the story?...Sheez this woman was NOT "overly-religious" she founded American Atheists, "a nationwide movement which defends the civil rights of non-believers, works for the separation of church and state, and addresses issues of First Amendment public policy." She acted as its first CEO before later handing that office on to her son Jon Garth.



The TRAGIC portion is what happened to her, her son Jon, %26amp; daughter Robyn! (eeuwww)



BUT then even God said: Matthew 10:33 But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven. 34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn "'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law-- 36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.' 37 "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 40 "He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me.



Seem that William was the only ONE that found "LIFE" and that "LIFE" until eternity.



William J. Murray is a self-professed born again Christian who might be best known to the public for writing My Life Without God and heading the William J. Murray Evangelistic Association. He is the chairman of the Religious Freedom Coalition, a socially conservative organization in Washington, D.C. He has been active on issues related to aiding Christians in Islamic and Communist nations.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

I personally would not say that her religious delusions caused the total breakup of her family but her personality as a whole did. I think this woman was extremely cruel and evil like her son said.



I am sure that without the love of the lord in her soul that she truly was evil and resorted in many evil deeds and as a child growing up in this type of atmosphere it certainly would split up a family. I am sure she felt it was her way or no way and anyone that did not believe the way she wanted them too was cast out as her son was.



What is God but love and without this love what is left but only evil!



No mother ever would cast out her son in this way if she truly loved him. She would have accepted him for what he wanted to believe.



Can too much religion destroy a family?

Always in moderation, kids...



Can too much religion destroy a family?

All religion is irrational, but that doesn't mean all irrational people are religious.

No comments:

Post a Comment